Friday, July 07, 2006

Backgrounder

On May 22nd 2006, I received an email from Navin Gulia,


Hi! Buddy,

How are you doing? We are embarking on a 10 day road trip to
Leh from 15 June evening to 25 June. We are planning to video document the
trip. In case you are interested to join do let me know.
Have a cool time.


Navin


This mail got me running.. Yes why not? I always wanted to do the Himalayas after all. Ride next to the snow, in cold sterile atmospheres. I convinced my boss that I would want to take off for at least 15 days and started to close out pending tasks in my ambit.

On the 7th I knew that I could be leaving in a week. I book my round trip air tickets (Bangalore-delhi-bangalore) for 14th and 30th of June 2006. On the 9th i dismantle the bikes rear view mirrors and then I send my Royal Enfield Thunderbird by freight truck to Gurgaon, Hariyana.

The rest of the days I keep planning my trip. The link to the original plan document is here.

Saji (RTMC, now RB's) is in manali when i was leaving from bangalore to delhi in a plane. Dushi & Simi are my contacts at Chandigargh. My good old car-gear-changer (Its a very different story of how i got to know Jassi of RoadSurvivors) isnt found.. he is in australia.

The Tool Kit i carried with me included

a. Foot Pump
b. Tyre Removal Lever Tools
c. Dye to remove the Tube Valve
d. Rubber solution and patches
e. Spark Plugs - 2
f. Tubes 19/3.5 3 of them
g. Chain Link Lock (1 number)
h. DOT 3 brake oil (The heat of the truck will cause the DOT3 disk brake fluid level to come down)
i. Clutch Cables - 1
j. Accelerator Cable - 1
k. Spark Plug Adaptor - 1
l. 3 Pin Halogen bulb for Thunder Birds - 1
m. Tail Lamp - 1
n. All spanners and Allen Keys.
o. Mobile Tyre Pneumatic pressure guage

What i did not take:
Extra Jerry Cans for Petrol
Extra OIL.
Read on to find out my travel from Bangalore to Delhi and then Delhi-Chandigargh-Shimla-Aut-Manali-Leh-Nubra-Leh-Phobran-Pangong-Leh-Kargil-Srinagar-Jammu-Pathankot-Amritsar-Ludhiyana-Delhi and a just in time air dash to bangalore !

5 Comments:

At 8:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

EXCELLENT EXCELLENT EXCELLENT!!! BRAVO my friend. The trip was awesome from the beginning, the pictures are fabulous and your effort to put them on blog along with details of your trip are really commendable.

Kiran

 
At 8:12 AM, Blogger Adarsh said...

Thanks Kiran.. Is this kiran from the aviation company ?

 
At 2:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Adarsh, Im proud of you. Kudos Buddy !! The picture of your solo ride keeps flashing in my mind..!! You have experienced ecstacy :)

Your advises motivates and peps up people like me..learnt the new terminology ! I guess the debugging can also be leanrt by reading blogs like this.

I have a dream to ride into mountain terrains.. God favoured you with a Blissful and Blessed solo ride.. I just couldnt stop WOW'ing !!

Keep us posted about your next trip and hopefully a collective one this time, you can guide us if this materialises..

Once again Congratulations !!

God Bless !!

Cheers,
Sudheer.

 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger Adarsh said...

Thanks Sudhee!

-adarsh

 
At 4:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well that was some trip bro .. and the fact that it was a solo is even more commendable... well if i ever plan do something like this i know where to start looking for :))

keep it up and hope to read more posts of ur trip

- Abraham

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


create a site