Friday, July 07, 2006

In and around Delhi (14th June 2006)

14th June 2006

Start Trip Meter: 0 km
End Trip Meter: 165 km
Route: Delhi - Azadpur - Rai
Stay & Cost: Hariyanvi Vaishnav Dhaba, Rai. Free Stay


I reach the Bangalore Airport for my Air Deccan flight to Delhi.. I choose the last row for seating convinience. This turns out to be a lousy mistake as the seat is next to the toilet stinks and cannot be reclined back. I bear with it, smiling at the air hostesses who are over dressed (unlike Kingfisher Airlines, which I will address later).

I reach Delhi and ask for a prepaid cab to Gurgaon (My bike was sent to Gurgaon on a truck that carry's Maruthi Cars from the maruthi factory in Gurgaon). I was told Delhi to Gurgaon would cost 800+ Indian rupees as you need to cross a border and pay toll taxes. I was planning to do the stay and food part of this ride in 5000 rupees! So I catch a airport bus that drops me at Dhaula Kaun for Rupees 50.

With the saddle bag on my shoulder, From Dhaula Kaun, I board a bus to Gurgaon. It’s interesting to note that all busses and auto rickshaws in Delhi have CNG kits fitted on to them (BMTC needs to take a cue from the Delhi Transport Authorities).

I reach my bike, retrieve it, fit the rear view mirrors and start riding around Delhi. I get my bike serviced at Soni Automobiles, Tughlakabad Extension, Kalkaji (Oil Change and a wash), do a little more riding in New Delhi and some shopping for my High Altitude (duh) sleeping bag.

After a 100+ km ride in New Delhi, I head towards chandigargh on the panipat route. Its 21:00 and I am still in the dust of delhi traffic. I then stop at a place called Rai, in Hariyana and stay in a dhaba. The deal I had with the owner is that I would eat food at his place and sleep in one of the khatiyas.
We exchange some adventurous stories that we experienced on the road and I doze of to sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


create a site