Thursday, July 13, 2006

How to prepare for a solo ride to the himalayas

Entry Point to the Solo Himalayan Blog is http://himalayan-solo.blogspot.com/2006/07/backgrounder.html

Special Advice to Solo Himalayan Riders:

These are a list of what to know about your bike. It may not be comprehensive, please leave a comment about anything I may have missed.



a. Changing front and rear wheels & puncture repairs, tube replacement
b. Changing clutch wire
c. Changing the accelerator wire
d. Pushrod remounting
e. chain tightening
f. oil check
g. disk brake inspection
h. Carburetor drain out & cleaning
i. Air filter cleaning
j. A bit about the carburetor
And mainly..... Common sense (Problem Finding Ability)! and oh yes presence of mind!


The Tool Kit i carried with me included


a. Foot Pump
b. Tyre Removal Lever Tools
c. Dye to remove the Tube Valve
d. Rubber solution and patches
e. Spark Plugs - 2
f. Three Tubes 19/3.5
g. Chain Link Lock (1 number)
h. DOT 3 brake oil (The heat of the truck will cause the DOT3 disk brake fluid level to come down)
i. Clutch Cables - 1
j. Accelerator Cable - 1
k. Spark Plug Adaptor - 1
l. 3 Pin Halogen bulb for Thunder Birds - 1
m. Tail Lamp - 1
n. All spanners and Allen Keys.
o. Mobile Tyre Pneumatic pressure guage



What i did not take (As my bike is a thunderbird):



Extra Jerry Cans for Petrol
Extra OIL.


3 Comments:

At 1:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

EXCELLENT N ADVENTUROUS.U ARE INVITED TO JOIN ME IN PLANNING A TRIP AROUND THE WORLD.I MYSELF HAVE BEEN TO THIS ROUTE IN 1996 ON A YAMAHA RX 100 AND AGAIN IN 2005 IN A SCORPIO.AT 36 M STILL ABLE TO RIDE 1K KILOMETRES/DAY FOR SAY 5DAYS ON GOOD NATIONAL HIGHWAYS SO I FEEL M STILL FIT MENTALLY N PHYSICALLY.WOULD LOVE TO PLAN A TRIP AROUND THE WORLD AND IF U COME ACROSS WATCH THE MOVIE OF AN INDIAN AND AN ENGLISH WHO HAD ACTUALLY BEEN FROM KOLKOTA TO LONDON ON 2 ENFIELD BULLETS.
CONGRATS ONCE AGAIN N ALL THE BEST IN ALL FUTURE ENDEVOURS.
BY THE WAY U ARE FROM MY INLAWS CITY SO WILL MEET U SOMEDAY WHEN I M THERE.
WARM REGARDS
NILESH
09890400678

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger Adarsh said...

Thank you nilesh!. 1 thousand kilometers is cool, I dont do that much as my idea is to stay cool and ride 500-700 a day and ride another day!

Nice to see you plan such a trip. Yes a briton and 2 indians did this trip for a charity cause.

Yep, Madhavi knows me.. we worked together!

Will keep in touch bud!

-Adarsh

 
At 4:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Adarsh,

I really enjoyed the blog(Your trip) and it took me in another trance. :)
I am also planning to do solo the Delhi - Leh in September this year with te pulsar 200.
I want some inputs regarding the below mentioned points.

1. I am not able to decide weather to go for saddle bags or side panners(as i am not sure about the panners for pulsars). what would you recommend.
2. Do I need a sleeping bag and the tent for the trip, and how safe and feasible is it to tent in Leh ladakh region.(I have a dream to sleep ust next to Panagong Tso but again not sure about the tent)
3. What about tubeles tyres, do i fit them with tubes and carry extra tubes or tubeless will do?
4. This is going to be my first long drive on bike and that too solo in a region which is totally new....this is exciting for me....a word of advice on the same from you.

Thanks in advance.
Regards
Harry
09849300663

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


create a site